HOW TO MAKE IT:
1. This craft item depends on finding an old lamp stand made of a thin metal pipe which screws into a base plate. I scoured couple of car boot sales and recycling centres before getting hold of the right one.
2. Unscrew and remove the base plate from the metal pipe. You will need to unwire the plug to make it possible to separate these pieces.
3. Decorate the lampshade.
4. Start with one book flat on your work surface, and drill a hole in the middle of it from the front cover through to the back. Your drill bit should be just larger in diameter than the thin metal pipe, in order for the latter to be fitted into the hole. A 15mm drill bit should do the job.
5. Stack this first book on top of the second, then push a pencil through the hole and make a mark on the bottom book. This mark will indicate where to drill through the second book. Remember to only drill through one book at a time!
6. Keep on doing this marking and drilling, with all the books, then push the wire and thin metal pipe through the holes, stacking the books along its length. Screw the pipe back into the base and rewire the electric plug.