This is a fantastic idea and will brighten up any corner of a room. Depending on the circumference of the stool top, you may need to make more or less, but a good guide is to make about 20 pom-poms.
The following items will be needed to make the pom-poms:
• A circular object with a diameter of about 8cm
• A circular object with a diameter of about 10cm
• About 2m of wool per pom-pom – you can decide on the colours that you want to use
• Fabric scissors
Method of how to make pom-poms:
• First things first, place the cardboard on a flat surface. Take the 10cm diameter item and place it on the cardboard, draw amount it. Repeat this twice.
• Take the 8cm diameter item and place it in the large circle already drawn. Draw the 8cm diameter in the centre of the 10cm diameter. Repeat this twice.
• Cut out around the large 10cm diameter of both circles. Once done, cut out around the 8cm diameter of both circles. You should have two doughnut shaped rings.
• Take the two rings and place them on top of each other. Now you can get started in making your pom-pom.
• Hold the one end of the wool onto the cardboard with your thumb. Now you can start to wind the wool around your pom-pom. Continue to wind the wool around the cardboard until the entire cardboard is full and totally covered. The more layers of wool wound around the cardboard, the fuller your pom-pom will be. Do not worry about leaving the ends dangling.
• Work very carefully because the next two steps are the trickiest. Carefully insert the blade of the fabric scissors between the two layers of cardboard and snip the strands of wool. Try not to separate the two cardboard discs.
• Once all the strands of wool around the cardboard is cut, pass another piece of wool between the two cardboard discs and around all the strands of wool. Now you can pull it tightly around the gathered strands and tie the two ends firmly together. Once this is done, then you can remove the cardboard discs. If there are any protruding wool strands you can trim and neaten your pom-pom.
• Repeat the process until you have made all the pom-poms.
The following items will be needed to make the stool seat:
• Staple gun and staple
• Round needle
Method of how to make the stool seat:
• Before cutting the fabric, measure a circle with a diameter of 10cm wider than that of the wooden seat of the stool.
• Once you are satisfied with your fabric size and positioning on the stool, you can proceed to fold the edges of the fabric over the edges of the wooden seat. Secure the folded fabric with staples from a staple gun.
• Now start to sew the pom-poms onto the piece of fabric using a round needle. To give a full effect, sew the pom-poms close to each other.
• Your beautiful stool seat will have the appearance of a round lollipop shape and will be admired by all who see it.