HOW TO MAKE IT:
1. Inflate balloons to three different sizes. Place the balloons in bowls to keep them steady.
2. Tear the newspaper into pieces of approximately 4cmx2cm, coat both sides of the paper strips with PVA glue using a brush or simply dipping the paper into the glue and cover the upper half of the balloons with these strips.
3. Complete 6-8 layers on each balloon and leave to dry overnight.
4. Leaving, the dried papier-mâché bowls on top of their balloon moulds. Apply the gesso with a strong wide paintbrush to the paper bowls. If the gesso is too thick, add a little water to it to make it more liquid. The paper will become wet and heavy, but do not remove it from its mould as it will deform. Leave it to dry. Apply 5-6 layers allowing each to dry before applying the next.
5. Make sure your paper bowl is dry before proceeding. A good way of testing this is to tap it: a hollow sound will be produced if properly dry. Pop the balloons and remove any debris from the inside of the bowls. Smooth the gesso with a damp cloth. Seal the gesso with a water-based varnish and leave it to dry.
6. The bowls are ready to be gilded inside.