I once made loads of heart-themed decorations for a craft market. These beaded hearts were a winner and remain so. Make a heart-shaped mould that you can use over and over again.
solid block of wood, at least 20 cm thick and an area large enough to accommodate the wire template
beads of any size and shape
You will also need:
small nails (with very small heads)
medium gauge galvanised wire (to create the heart-shaped template)
- Draw a heart shape to your desired dimensions on one side of the block of wood with a permanent marker. Hammer nails partially into the wood, following the heart shape, to create a template.
- Use a length of string to measure around the heart, then add another 2 cm. Cut the wire to this length and twist the extra 2 cm into a loop (to prevent the beads from slipping off).
- String the beads onto the wire, leaving just enough exposed wire (± 2 cm) to secure the shape.
- Bend the bead-covered wire around the template of nails. Twist the two ends together with long-nose pliers and lift the heart off the template.
- Trim away any excess wire with the wire cutter.
- Decorate the heart with string or ribbon as desired.