I know that you are going to absolutely love making these hearts. Don’t be surprised if you make more than you initially intended. They are so lovely and can be used decoratively for many occasions.
The following recycled items are required:
- Heart-shaped balloon
- Left over fabric cut into small pieces
- Ribbon/string (as decoration)
The following items are also required:
- Materials for papier-mache (SEE CRAFT TECHNIQUES)
- 10 cm Light-weight galvanised wire
- Craft knife
- Fabric glue
- Follow the basic papier-mâché method on CRAFT TECHNIQUES, using a heart-shaped balloon as a mould. Leave the mouth of the balloon free of papier-mâché.
- Once the papier-mâché is completely dry, use an awl and pop the balloon. Remove as much of the balloon through the opening around the mouth. Be careful not to cause damage to your papier-mâché heart.
- Bend the wire into a horse shoe-shaped hook and cut an opening at the top of the heart with a craft knife. Insert the hook into the opening, then cover the opening with more paper and glue, with the hook in place.
- The fabric pieces can only be pasted once the papier-mâché heart is completely dry. Apply fabric glue to a piece of fabric and paste. Continue with this process until the heart is completely covered with fabric.
- Weave a piece of string or ribbon through the hook and display.