You will need
- Old tray or plate
- Plastic tray cloth
- water-based sealant (PVA glue or Modge Podge)
- a small pair of sharp scissors or a craft knife
- cutting mat
- paintbrushes or sponge brushes
- damp sponge (optional)
- water based varnish
- Make sure that the surface of the tray to be decoupaged is clean, smooth and dry.
- Cut around the edge of the image on the plastic cloth with scissors. For intricate patterns you may prefer to use a craft knife and cutting mat.
- Decide how you want to arrange the images on the object. Pictures can be in any design and can overlap each other.
- When you are satisfied with your layout, paint some sealant on the reverse side of your first image. Place it in position, press down gently and rub over it with your fingers or a damp sponge to smooth away any air bubbles and excess glue. Repeat this process with each image. When, you have glued all your images onto the surface of the object, paint two coats of varnish over the surface for protection. Allow the first one to dry before you apply the second coat.